this house support reaction to stop Global warming for better future (clearly, we all HUMANBEING!)

dailyemo.days

dailyemo.days

Saturday, October 10, 2009

speaking

Parts of Speech Table

This is a summary of the 8 parts of speech*.

part of speech

function or "job"

example words

example sentences

Verb

action or state

(to) be, have, do, like, work, sing, can, must

EnglishClub.com is a web site. I like EnglishClub.com.

Noun

thing or person

pen, dog, work, music, town, London, teacher, John

This is my dog. He lives in my house. We live in London.

Adjective

describes a noun

a/an, the, 69, some, good, big, red, well, interesting

My dog is big. I like big dogs.

Adverb

describes a verb, adjective or adverb

quickly, silently, well, badly, very, really

My dog eats quickly. When he is very hungry, he eats really quickly.

Pronoun

replaces a noun

I, you, he, she, some

Tara is Indian. She is beautiful.

Preposition

links a noun to another word

to, at, after, on, but

We went to school on Monday.

Conjunction

joins clauses or sentences or words

and, but, when

I like dogs and I like cats. I like cats and dogs. I like dogs but I don't like cats.

Interjection

short exclamation, sometimes inserted into a sentence

oh!, ouch!, hi!, well

Ouch! That hurts! Hi! How are you? Well, I don't know.

* Some grammar sources categorize English into 9 or 10 parts of speech. At EnglishClub.com, we use the traditional categorization of 8 parts of speech. Examples of other categorizations are:

  • Verbs may be treated as two different parts of speech:
    • Lexical Verbs (work, like, run)
    • Auxiliary Verbs (be, have, must)
  • Determiners may be treated as a separate part of speech, instead of being categorized under Adjectives

Parts of Speech Examples

Here are some sentences made with different English parts of speech:

verb

Stop!

noun

verb

John

works.

noun

verb

verb

John

is

working.

pronoun

verb

noun

She

loves

animals.

noun

verb

adjective

noun

Animals

like

kind

people.

noun

verb

noun

adverb

Tara

speaks

English

well.

noun

verb

adjective

noun

Tara

speaks

good

English.

pronoun

verb

preposition

adjective

noun

adverb

She

ran

to

the

station

quickly.

pron.

verb

adj.

noun

conjunction

pron.

verb

pron.

She

likes

big

snakes

but

I

hate

them.

Here is a sentence that contains every part of speech:

interjection

pron.

conj.

adj.

noun

verb

prep.

noun

adverb

Well,

she

and

young

John

walk

to

school

slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment